Not every celebration has to be a planned out mix of perfect party decor, menu and drink - especially when it comes to outdoor summer parties. Which is precisely why a summer BBQ cook-off party is the perfect way to spend a lazy backyard Saturday with friends.
We bet there's more than a few self-proclaimed grill masters in your circle of friends and family. Invite everyone over to put boasts to the test - all you need to celebrate a relaxing Saturday afternoon or evening with friends are our tips and ideas for a BBQ burger cook-off.
Tips to Host a BBQ Cook Off
To keep things consistent, you might want to create parameters for what type of meat can be used with your cook-off or, encourage creativity by taking an anything goes approach and allow everything from veggie burgers to buffalo burgers.
Let guests know the rules of the game beforehand by sending an email outlining the rules and tips to all your guests. This way, they'll know what to expect.
If someone really does not want to participate in the cook-off, let them just enjoy the tasting. As a host, your guests comfort and happiness is the key to throwing a successful party - don't make anyone feel like they are forced to compete if they don't want to.
We recommend having contestants cook enough burgers to be cut in fourths to give each guest a taste test, but you can also opt to make slider-sized versions for smaller groups.
Make Things Interesting
To create a killer BBQ burger recipe, do some research on other well-known and loved burger recipes. Either find common threads between them to incorporate into your recipe, or try mixing and matching elements from multiple recipes into your own gourmet burger.
The Rules of a BBQ Cook Off
1. Every couple or family can choose only one recipe to create for the competition.
2. Everyone has forty-five minutes to prepare their burgers, and begins at the same time if possible. If grill tops are limited, schedule burger creation time and be sure guests have paper and pencil to jot down notes as they taste.
3. Meat for the burger and additional ingredients for the burger (veggies, bun, sauces, accoutrements) should be brought by the team, from their home.
4. Every team makes enough burgers so that they can be cut into fourths and every guest gets to taste at least one quarter of each type of burger.
5. After all the burgers have been tasted, guests can rank their favorite three BBQ burgers on a sheet of paper, but cannot rank their own teams burger.
6. To tally the results, give each burger with a #1 ranking three points, each burger with a #2 ranking two points, and each burger with a #3 ranking 1 point, so that each #1 rating a burger receives weighs higher than the burgers that receive a #2 ranking or #3 ranking.
7. The burger recipe with the most points overall wins the grand prize - a new set of BBQ tools, provided by the host.
Another fun way to add a little something special to a summer Saturday out back is with a burger bar. The kids will especially love this idea, but the whole family can join in the fun. See who can come up with the tastiest, craziest and most popular burgers. Read More
A party all about burgers doesn't stop with the burger cook-off. As host, make these simple cupcakes that only look like hamburgers for dessert. Read More