1. A cake covered entirely in fondant will cost more than a cake with a butter cream exterior. Pick a talented baker that is able to create a beautiful cake in butter cream and ask them to decorate it with fondant accents. This is a more affordable option that looks like you spent top dollar!
Note: Fondant is a sugar dough that covers the exterior of the cake to create a smooth finish.
2. When ordering, opt for a two-tiered smaller cake, versus a large single tier cake. It has more "wow" factor, and doesn't cost much more.
Tip: Square cakes cost more than round cakes because you get more servings out of them. They also take more time to frost, so bakeries generally charge more for this shape.
3. If you are having a bridal shower with over 20 guests, consider doing a small 6" cake and supplement it with matching cupcakes to help reduce the overall cost. Display the cake on a sleek cake pedestal and surround it with the cupcakes.
4. Order several small 4" cakes and decorate them yourself with fresh flowers. Visit your local farmers' market for great prices. Your cake masterpieces can work double duty on your guest tables by being both centerpieces and dessert!
Tip: Make sure to choose flowers that are edible and safe to use on cakes such as roses.
5. Pick up the cake, instead of having it delivered, which will cut out a delivery fee. Remember to bring a non-slip mat for support and drive slowly.
From photographers, to tent rentals, to party planners, search our party database to find the perfect vendor.