This white bean and brocolli soup is satisfying, tasty and healthy. Can't get much better than that on a chilly night.
2 to 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds onions, coarsely chopped
6 large cloves of garlic, chopped
1 large bunch broccoli (about 1-1/2 pounds), stems (peeled if tough) and florets, coarsely chopped
1 can garbanzo beans, preferably organic, drained and rinsed
4 to 5 cups chicken stock
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, then add the onions. Stir to coat with oil, cover, and cook until onions are soft and starting to brown, stirring frequently, about 10 to 12 minutes.
2. Make a space in the center of the pot and add the garlic, stirring so it all touches the bottom of the pot. Cook, stirring, two minutes.
3. Add the broccoli, garbanzo beans, and chicken stock. The soup will look too thick; it is not.
4. Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer with the lid barely cracked until broccoli is tender, about 25 minutes.
5. Purée with an immersion blender and cook a few more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.